Sep 11, 2009
Updating OpenSolaris b121 to b122 results in kernel panic (NOTICE: spa_import_rootpool: error 5)
Upgrading to the b122 bits on my laptop resulted in a kernel panic and reboots upon boot attempt. See this bug: http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6875025
My work-around for this is to boot into my working BE (b121) and do the following:
beadm mount b122 /mnt
copy from /kernel to /mnt/kernel these bits:
bootadm update-archive -R /mnt
My system then booted successfully to b122.
Aug 06, 2009
Having only OpenSolaris on this machine I needed a way of flashing the bios with an update.
Before I proceed any further; flashing your bios incorrectly/incompletely CAN and most likely WILL render your machine useless. The information which I am providing worked/works on my specific machine.
Now to the task at hand. Having only OpenSolaris on this machine and wishing to update my bios firmware I had two choices:
- use a recovery disc I made after purchase, which would entail installing Vista for the sole purpose of this procedure
- use a usb stick with the needed bin on it and flash from that
I chose the latter and here's how I did it:
- Download the spXXXXX.exe from hp site
- unpack the .exe using cabextract
- rename the extension from xxxx.FD to xxxx.BIN /* x = the alphanumeric string proceeding the extension */
- insert USB key ; cp xxxx.BIN /media ; umount /media ; shutdown
- Remove the battery from the unit
- Unplug mains
- Hold down 'Windows' and 'B' keys ; re-plug mains and press power button
- After the flash completes and before the machine starts, remove the USB key
Apr 15, 2009
Installing OpenSolaris ..
I recently installed OpenSolaris (the first attempts were using the current release, which was quite buggy, I managed with OpenSolaris 2009.06 snv_111 X86) on my HP dv 7-1245ca.
A few notes are:
- the livecd as well as the hard drive install booted with a squelching white noise, I appended "-B disable-audiohd=true" to the grub boot line.
- This laptop has an ATI 3200 HD video card, which works with the radeonhd driver 1.2.4. To enable I shutdown GDM and ran Xorg -configure then restarted X/GDM.
Both the wired and wifi network interfaces work well.
Apr 08, 2009
I recently bought an HP dv 7-1245ca laptop..
The specs are here for this machine. I am currently running Ubuntu 9.04, the development version of Ubuntu. I also run virtualbox on it with Opensolaris 2008.06 as the guest O/S ... I haven't had a chance to work out some issues precluding installation of OSOL as a dual-boot option.